Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Take: Yellowcake by Margo Lanagan



Yellowcake is a collection of 10 short stories by Margo Lanagan.
I enjoy short stories and had a couple people tell me to try this book out. So, I hopped on my Nook and did just that. 

Before I get started, I will share the blurb from GoodReads:

" The stories range from fantasy and fairy tale to horror and stark reality, and yet what pervades is the sense of humanity.  The people of Lanagan's worlds face trials, temptations, and degradations. They swoon and suffer and even kill for love. In a dangerous world, they seek the solace and strength that comes from family and belonging. 

   These are stories to be savored slowly and pondered deeply because they cut to the very heart of who we are."


Ok, now, I purchased this book, like I said and started on it right away. That was back in late August. I read the first story, The Point of Roses, twice. I was still slightly confused. And yet, I pushed forward to the second story, and sat the book down. 

It wasn't until Christmas Booktube-a-Thon, December 20-22 that I chose to pick it back up to finish it. I felt like I was forcing myself to read this book. I felt lost/confused by many of the stories, and genuinely uninterested in the rest. I felt that for some of the stories, they felt muddy. Like I entered into the middle of a conversation that no one was willing to fill me in on. 

Out of the 10 stories I only liked three. 

Fine Magic, Into the Clouds on High and Ferryman. Those were very clear and interesting. The characters felt whole and the emotion was easily obtained. I ended each of these three stories feelling something. Like with Fine Magic, I felt anger towards the man. What right did he have to take that revenge. Into the Clouds on High left me feeling sad, my heart actually ached, as did Ferryman.

I can see the talent that Margo has with her writing, even though I do not particularly like the content within the stories. She does have a unique point of view and way of telling stories. She isn't afraid to go down that dark and twisted road and tell a disturbing tale of dismembering a giant human or other such taboo instances. And I can truly appreciate that. 

However, having said that, I still can't say I enjoyed this book. Overall, I struggled to complete this book, and only being able to say I like 3 out of 10 stories is disappointing to say the least. 

 I give this book a 2 out of 5 stars.


If you read this book, please let me know what your thoughts are. Let me know if you enjoyed it, or if you felt like I did. I welcome all opinions! 

Thanks so much for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment