Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Take: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira


Love Letters to the DeadLove Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"There are a lot of human experiences that challenge the limits of our Language."

I was unsure of this book when I first read up on it. I felt it would probably be a bit too juvenile.

But shortly after midnight of April 1st. (Its official release date.) I opened up my Nook and found the free sample and thought why not check it out.

Those free pages flew by and I knew I had to own this book.

It is set up entirely in the form of letters written by Laurel, to famous people, who happen to be dead. It started off as an assignment for English class, that ended up being the very thing that allowed her to finally open up and express all the emotions and thoughts she never felt she could share before. Or more importantly, didn't know how to share.

She writes to a varied group of famous people. Each one allowing her to express a different perspective or outlook. From Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse to E.E Cummings and Amelia Earhart. As the book goes on, you can see Laurel discover herself, her sister and the experiences she had. And how she grew and was learning from being able to truly think about all of it. And how it helped her to finally open up to her friends and ultimately her family.

This book is sad, tragic, filled with hope, love and is just beautiful.

I didn't cry throughout the book, but I felt the tears sting my eyes several times and felt so many emotions. But finally towards the end, I had to get tissues as I thought of those I loved who are no longer with me. And realized that I was Blessed to have had members of my family who knew it was ok for us all to fall apart together and still be able to support each other in our loss. That it was ok. That we will be ok in time.

This book touched my heart. I just loved every page.

"I carry your heart(I carry it in my heart)."

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment