Saturday, June 7, 2014

My Take: Floating Boy and the Girl Who Couldn't Fly by P.T. Jones


Floating Boy and the Girl Who Couldn't FlyFloating Boy and the Girl Who Couldn't Fly by Stephen Graham Jones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I actually give this book a 3.5 stars.

This is a story about a 14 year old girl named Mary. Who at a cousin's birthday party, watched with the rest of the guests as one boy climbed a tree and floated away.

What follows is confusion and ultimately chaos in the small town of Ipswich,Massachusetts. She finds herself going up against a mad scientist and a sudden outbreak that puts all the adults either in the hospital or a mob-like state as they panic with fear. While the youth face other, less sick type of reaction to the outbreak.

I was curious from the start as to what it was that made this floating boy float. Was it magic? What and where did this outbreak come from? I had no idea, but it was a mystery I wanted to solve. And as I read, the mystery grew and I liked it.

I enjoyed the funny little quips and references throughout the book. I laughed at her use of "muggles" to describe her unbearable aunts and uncles. Who doesn't love references to Harry Potter?! It gave it a real world feel. And gave Mary a fun, relatable personality. She was a typical funny teen in that way.

The Floating Boy, as he unfortunately was called throughout the book, was around the same age as Mary. And I was, naturally, curious about him. And once he reappeared after his first sighting, instantly felt attached to him and as the story went on, I wanted to just give him a big hug. He was so sweet and as I learned more about him, I just felt for him.

The overall plot was interesting and something I haven't read before. And I really didn't know how it would unfold, which I appreciate that it didn't feel predictable.

Now, the issues I had with this book was how Mary handled certain situations. I understand that she was only 14, but when her little brother started showing signs of "strange behavior", she didn't act upon it, like how I feel a normal kid would react. Like, call her parents... It just didn't seem like a natural reaction, even despite her issues with anxiety and the issues that came with that. There are a few other little examples, but I feel they would be to much of a spoiler to say here.

Also, I wasn't really satisfied with the ending. It felt a bit rushed and incomplete. I would change my mind on that if I knew there would be a book two. But as it stands, it just didn't feel..right, and it left me with questions, that again, I can't express here without spoiling.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book and couldn't put it down. I read it pretty quickly in just a few hours.

It is a good read that I think a lot of people can enjoy.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I went to my favorite place today! The Library!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the library. I look forward to my biweekly visit so I can spend countless hours looking through shelves of books, and sitt...