Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Take: I, Morgana by Felicity Pulman


I, MorganaI, Morgana by Felicity Pulman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I, Morgana is written from Morgana point of view, which I really enjoyed. Most of my experiences with the whole King Arthur tale is from his perspective, with Morgana being the evil witch.

Now she isn't exactly nice in this telling, but some of her actions seemed explained, almost justified. But not completely.

Her father had declared Morgana as heir to his throne. An honor she took very seriously and to heart. He was killed in battle and unfortunately, her mother remarried Uther who took control of the kingdom. Her mother had become pregnant with Arthur during the time Morganas father had been killed. Her mother is quiet selfish and spends her time with Uther, neglecting her and Arthur.

Merlin took Morgana under his tutelage when she was a child. She was proving to be a quick learner and eager student. And as Arthur got older, she began bring him along. Which leads to future issues when Merlin betrays Morgana, at least in her eyes, by favoring Arthur to become the future king. Which Morgana feels is her right to be the Queen, since her father had named her heir.

So, the rest of the book follows her throughout her life as she seeks revenge on all those whom she feels have wronged her and gain the throne she knows is rightfully hers.

I really enjoyed reading this story through the eyes of Morgana and seeing the differences in how things play out in this tellings.

None of the characters were perfect, nor were they completely evil. They were very real to life in how they allowed their emotions and egos and pride guide them in their decisions. And to watch them play out with unforeseen outcomes. And how they tried to deal with them and even attempts at correcting mistakes.

This just revived my interest into the stories of Camelot and King Arthur.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Felicity Pulman said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks so much for your insightful comments about my novel: I tried to go back to the traditional telling of the story, but this time as seen through Morgana's eyes, and try to explain why she does what she does, and I'm so pleased that you 'get it'. Yes, she's deeply flawed (as so many of us are) but I think all of us, as well as Morgana, may spend our lives on this earth on a journey to discovery of our true selves, warts and all - and if atonement is needed, then hopefully we all (as well as Morgana) will have the courage to confront our weaknesses and try to rectify them, and hopefully we also find redemption at the same time. Thank you for your review of my book.

Heather Noffsinger said...

Not sure how I missed your comment, but thank you so much Felicity, for taking time out to read and respond to my post.

I really like characters who have flaws. It makes them real and relate-able and gives them depth. You did a beautiful job with this book.

Post a Comment